History

Find SC History content

"J" is for Jackson, Mary [b. 1945]. Artist, basket maker. Born in Mount Pleasant, Jackson grew up in an African American community of basket makers and learned the craft as a child from her mother. In the mid-1970s she began creating baskets seriously and soon mastered a variety of shapes and types including the rice-winnowing tray called the “fanner,” grain storage baskets, and flower, market, and sewing baskets for domestic use. She had a solo exhibition at the Gibbes Museum of Art in 1984 that introduced her to the public.

"I" is for Indian Mounds. Along the state's rivers and streams are vestiges of South Carolina's prehistoric past. Indian mounds offer fragmentary evidence of the cultures that thrived before Europeans arrived. There are two distinct cultural groups associated with the mounds: Woodlands peoples and Mississippian Indians. Woodlands period mounds are located primarily along coastal rivers, while Mississippian mounds are found along inland rivers near the fall zone. Beaufort County has the largest number of identified mounds, followed by counties in the midlands. Built between C.E.

"H" is for the Hallelujah Singers, a nationally-recognized performance troupe offering unique cultural programming by preserving, performing, and celebrating the rich heritage of the Sea Island Gullah culture. Organized as a vocal ensemble by Marlena Smalls in 1990 and based in Beaufort, the group promotes Gullah culture through song, story, dance, and dramatic performance. The group has developed programs that combine storytelling and Gullah music—a music form steeped in a rich African American spiritual tradition.

Molly Pitcher, long one of the few images an American Woman active in the Revolution, is likely a composite image inspired by the actions of several real women.
Currier & Ives, via Wikimedia Commons

  In her book, Revolutionary Mothers: Women and the Struggle for American Independence (2015, Knopf) Dr. Carol Berkin makes the argument that the American Revolution is a story of both women and men. Women played an active and vital role in the war; although history books have often greatly minimized or completely left out the contributions of women in the creation of our nation, or greatly romanticized their role.

"G" is for Gaffney

Sep 12, 2016

"G" is for Gaffney [Cherokee County; population 12,968]. In 1804 an Irish immigrant, Michael Gaffney bought land in the area and constructed a house, barns, a store, and a tavern. The property, variously known as Gaffney's Cross Roads or Gaffney's Old Field, became a local gathering place, but failed to compete with nearby Limestone Springs. In the early 1870s, Michael Gaffney’s widow, Mary, lured the Southern Railway to her property with the promise of free right-of-way from the Cross Roads to the Broad River.

"B" is for Bragg, Laura [1881-1978]. Museum administrator, educator. A native of Massachusetts, Bragg earned a degree in library science. Her first professional positions were in Maine and at the New York City Library. In 1909 she was hired to be the librarian at the Charleston Museum where she soon was promoted to curator of books and public instruction. She used her position to cross both racial and class lines with her education program—the first in a southern museum.

  "W" is for Wright, Jonathan Jasper [1840-1885]. Attorney, legislator, jurist. Born in Pennsylvania, Wright became the first black attorney in that state. He came to South Carolina in 1867 as an attorney with the Freeman’s Bureau. He served as a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1868 where he was a vocal and successful advocate for public education. He was elected to the South Carolina Senate in 1868. In 1870, when a vacancy occurred on the state’s supreme court, Wright found broad support for his candidacy across party lines.

A Boykin Spaniel
jetsonphoto, via Wikimedia Commons

  "B" is for Boykin Spaniel. The Boykin spaniel was originally bred in South Carolina before the 1920s. This amiable, small, dark brown retriever is a superb hunter and loving family pet. It was bred to provide an ideal hunting dog for hunting fowl in the Wateree River swamps. A sturdy, compact dog built for boat travel and capable of retrieving on land or water was required. Lemuel Whitaker “Whit” Boykin, a planter and sportsman from the Boykin community near Camden tested many dogs to answer these needs.

"J"is for Jackson, Joseph Jefferson Wofford "Shoeless" [1888-1951]. Baseball Player. “Shoeless Joe” Jackson was reared in the mill villages of Pelzer and Greenville. He never attended school and could neither read nor write. At thirteen he began to work full-time in the mill and also to play for the mill's baseball team. In 1908 he turned pro and during the season landed in the majors with the Philadelphia Athletics. In 1915 he was traded to the Chicago White Sox and led the team to a World Series title in 1917 and a pennant in 1919.

"H" is for Hagood, Johnson [1829-1898]. Soldier. Governor. A native of Barnwell District, he graduated with distinction from the Citadel in 1847 and then studied law. With the outbreak of the Civil War, he was elected colonel of the first South Carolina Regiment of Volunteers. Hagood saw action continuously from the bombardment of Fort Sumter in April 1861 to the Battle of Bentonville in March 1865. His gallantry under fire led to his promotion to brigadier general.

Detail from "The Reserve in Summer." (Alice Ravenel Huger Smith)
Gibbes Museum

  The Middleton Place Foundation is helping to share the artistic legacy of Charleston Renaissance artist Alice Ravenel Huger Smith with exhibits at the Middleton Place House Museum and the Edmondston-Alston House, a Smith exhibit from October 23, 2016, to June 17, 2017.

"G" is for the Gadsden Flag, a bright yellow banner with a gray, coiled rattlesnake at its center with the words “Don't Tread on Me” inscribed beneath. Although there had been similar flags since the French and Indian War, this particular flag can be traced to Christopher Gadsden, one of the state's delegates to the First Continental Congress. The rattlesnake in a variety of poses was used to reflect colonial anger and defiance.

"F" is for the Farmer's Alliance. Founded in the 1870s in Texas, the National Farmers' Alliance and its segregated counterpart the Colored Farmers' National Alliance addressed the issues of debt and depressed commodity prices that most rural Americans faced. The first county alliance in South Carolina was founded in Marion in 1887 and within a year there was a statewide alliance.

"J" is for Johnson, Harriet Catherine Frazier [1889-1972]. Legislator, state 4-H Club leader. After graduating from Winthrop, Johnson was hired by Spartanburg County as an extension agent. From 1922 to1944 she was the head of the state 4-H girls’ clubs headquartered at Winthrop. In February 1945 she won a special election in York County and became the first woman elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives. Her bill to provide schoolbooks for children in York County was so popular that the General Assembly amended it to apply to all high schools in the state.

"I" is for Izard, Ralph [1742-1804]. Diplomat, congressman, legislator, U.S. Senator. After attending Christ College, Cambridge, Izard married Alice DeLancey and the couple decided to live in England. With the coming of the Revolution, they moved to France and the Continental Congress appointed him as its representative to Tuscany. He remained in Paris until 1780 when he returned to South Carolina and was elected to the Continental Congress. After the war he and his sons-in-law-- William Loughton Smith and Gabriel Manigault—formed a powerful political faction.

  "H" is for Harby, Isaac [1788-1828]. Journalist, playwright, educator, religious reformer. After attending the College of Charleston and studying for the law, Harby opened a private school. Harby’s Academy provided him with an income while he attempted various literary pursuits. For several years he owned and edited a Charleston newspaper, the Southern Patriot and Commercial Advertiser. He later edited the Charleston City Gazette and was a frequent contributor to the Charleston Mercury. Harby wrote at least three plays and was a respected drama critic.

"G" is for the German Friendly Society. Oldest of all the German male social organizations in Charleston, the German Friendly Society was founded by Michael Kalteisen and Daniel Strobel in 1766. Originally it was a social and mutual-aid society to pay sick and death benefits, and allow members to borrow funds at low interest rates. Within a few years, German ethnicity was no longer a requirement for membership.

"F" is for Florence County [800 square miles; population 125,761]. Created in 1888, Florence County lies between the Great Pee Dee and Lynches Rivers in the eastern part of the state. In the late antebellum period, three railroads intersected in the area and the town of Florence developed. With the creation of the county, the town became the county seat. Railroads and agriculture would be the economic mainstays of the county until well into the 20th century.

"G" is for Georgetown County [815 square miles; population 55,797]. Named in honor of King George III, Georgetown County lies in the fertile plain surrounding Winyah Bay. Its early wealth lay in the maze of rivers and creeks that traversed the county that produced timber, naval stores, and rice. With the tidal cultivation of rice came thousands of slaves. By 1860, slaves accounted for 85 percent of the county's population. After Reconstruction, the county's white and black population shared political offices and power under what was called a fusion plan until 1900.

"F" is for Flat Nose

Aug 23, 2016

"F" is for Flat Nose. In the 1980s, Flat Nose, a Darlington County bulldog, attracted international attention because of his ability to climb pine trees. According to his owner Barney Odom, Flat Nose developed his tree-climbing ability as a puppy despite Odom's best efforts to stop him. After regional media gave the dog considerable attention, he and his owner were invited to appear on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

North Inlet - Winyah Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve. Aerial view of meandering tidal creeks and extensive pristine marshes in North Inlet Estuary. Vicinity of Georgetown, South Carolina.
NOAA Photo Library/Flickr

(Originally broadcast 10/30/16) - Dr.Maria Whitehead is Project Director of Winyah Bay and Pee Dee River Basin for The Nature Conservancy. Winyah Bay is comprised of 525,000 total acres and encompasses the lower drainage of the Black, Big Pee Dee, Little Pee Dee, Sampit, and Waccamaw rivers.

This vital watershed sustains 123,000 acres of forested wetlands and 23,000 acres of tidal freshwater marshes that support the annual use of up to 40,000 migratory waterfowl, 6 federally threatened and endangered species, and numerous species of migratory songbirds. 

"E" is for Eleanor Clubs. During the early years of World War II, white South Carolinians, like other white southerners, passed rumors about “Eleanor Clubs.” They told each other that their black help—inspired by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt—were organizing quasi-unions to raise their pay or leave domestic employment. And, they vowed to have a white woman in every kitchen by Christmas. Then they would start to press for social equality and, finally, the overthrow of white-led government.

"Y" is for Young, Anne Austin [1892-1989]. Physician. Born in Laurens County, at the age of fourteen Young enrolled at Presbyterian College where she graduated with honors. She taught school briefly then in 1911 went to Philadelphia to study at the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania, specializing in gynecology and obstetrics. After graduating in 1915, she declined a fellowship at the University of Edinburgh and returned home. In 1918 she wed Charles Henry Young and together they practiced in Anderson County. They devoted their careers to Anderson Memorial hospital.

We Are Charleston

Aug 18, 2016
Bernard Powers, Marjory Wentworth, and Herb Fraizer, authors of We Are Charleston.
Jack Alterman

  This week’s guests on Walter Edgar's Journal are the authors of the book We Are Charleston (2016 Thomas Nelson), a multi-layered exploration of the tragic events experienced by South Carolina’s famed Mother Emanuel in June of 2015.

"W" is for Walter, Thomas [ca. 1740-1789]. Botanist, planter, patriot, politician. Born in England, Walter was in South Carolina by 1769 and remained in the lowcountry for the next twenty years. During this period he collected plants in the coastal plain of South Carolina and cultivated others in his garden. The culmination of his botanical efforts was Flora Caroliniana, the first flora document of a region of North America to utilize the Linnǽan system of classification. Published in 1788, it contained more than one thousand species—including many new to science.

"U" is for United Church of Christ. In 1957 the United Church of Christ was established through the merger of the Congregational Church with the German Reformed Church. Congregational churches traced their American roots to the 1648 union of the Pilgrims of Plymouth and the Puritans of Massachusetts Bay into a single denomination. Congregationalists were among the earliest settlers of South Carolina and established churches throughout the lowcountry. The Circular Congregational Meeting House in colonial Charleston included some of the city's most influential citizens.

"T" is for Taylor, Susie King [born circa 1848]. Born into slavery as Susan Baker near Savannah, Taylor became free at fourteen when her uncle led her and others to freedom. As one of thousands of black refugees on the Sea Islands, she attached herself to the First South Carolina Volunteers. Originally, she was the regimental laundress, but her other talents—especially her ability to read and write and her knowledge of folk remedies—soon gave her a wider scope of responsibility. She nursed the regiment's sick and wounded and served as its reading instructor.

"S" is for St. Helena’s Parish. On June 7th, 1712, the Commons House of Assembly passed an act designating all of the land between the Combahee and Savannah rivers [most of modern Beaufort and Jasper counties] as the parish of St. Helena. British settlers Anglicized the name given to the area by early Spanish settlers, Santa Elena. The area, however, did not grow substantially until after the Yamassee War. In 1724, the beautiful parish church was built in Beaufort. By 1767, three other parishes were carved out of St. Helena’s—so that the parish consisted of only Port Royal, Lady’s, and St.

"E" is for Edens, J. Drake, Jr. [1925-1982]. Republican Party leader. Born in Columbia, Edens graduated from the University of South Carolina and for a number of years was an executive with his family's food store chain. He became involved with the Republican Party during the 1960 presidential campaign and by 1963 was state party chairman. He worked tirelessly to strengthen and expand the party and eventually established the foundation for the South Carolina Republican Party.

Early American Flag
iStock

(Originally broadcast 04/08/16) -  Doug Bostick, of the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust, and Jim Lighthizer, President of the Civil War Trust, talk with Walter Edgar about their ongoing efforts to preserve important Revolutionary War sites in South Carolina. The trusts are currently working to obtain and preserve key portions of sites for the battles of the Battle of Hanging Rock and the Battle of the Waxhaws.

Pages